Subject: Re: ambient lighting...
From: [email-masked] (Alan Chan )
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:31:37 -0500

You wrote: 
>
>The reason for that is a real-world effect caleld radiosity, where 
light 
>actually bounces off of objects.  Raytracing only simulates 
reflections 
>and refraction.  Ernie could fill this in better, but basically with 
>radiosity the light bounces from object to object (like using a bounce 

>card in real-world lighting), so if you have a blue object next to a 
>white object, part of the white object will be tinted blue, like in 
real 
>life.

Again, something easy to fake once you understand the principles of 
lighting. I can't stress enough the need to absorb some real world 
techniques, they'll go a long way towards making a better animator.
Radiosity at the click of a button is slow and hard to control at best, 
you'd probably be better off simulating it with extra lights..

AC